How Dibrugarh got its Name

Dibrugarh

The tea city of India, Dibrugarh is situated at southern part bank of Brahmaputra river. City derives it name from Dibaru-mukh, is the confluence of river Dibaru/ Dibru, a tributary of the holy river Brahmaputra. Dibru is a Dimasa word which means water and “garh” means fort. During British pronouncement in 1826, they built a fort in the bank of river hence, the name is thought to be derived ad Dibrugarh.