Sivsagar in hindi dialect refers to ‘ocean of Lord Shiva’. The main feature of this town is water bodies from which it takes its name. This is a 257-acre (1.04 km2) tank, also known as the Borpukhuri, which is at a higher elevation than the rest of the town, with three temples ("Dol"s in Assamaee) on its banks. Of these temples, the most prominent is the Shivaidol, standing tall at 104 feet (32 m), drawing large crowds on Shiv Ratri . The other temples are the Vishnudol and Devidol. The temples were built by Kuwori Ambika, wife of Swagadeo Baba Singha, in 1734.