Tinsukia originally known as Changmai Pathar, was founded by Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha. Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha, known as Mezara, rose to become an able administrator. Mezara adopted the name Sarbananda Singha after he became the King. Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha introduced coins after his name and in Saka 1716 and 1717, he inscribed the title Swagadeo in the coins.
As instructed by Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha, his Minister Gopinath Barbaruah alies Godha dug a triangular pond which is known as Tinikunia Pukhuri. In 1884 a station was constructed near this pond, when the Dibru-Sadiya Rail line was laid, which was named as Tinsukia. Since then it has been known as Tinsukia.