How Gandhidham got its Name

Gandhidham

Gandhidham was created in the early 1950s for the resettlement of the refugees from Sindh (now in Pakistan) Soon after the separation of Pakistan from India in 1947, a large group of refugees from Sindh of Pakistan came to India. The Maharaja of Kutch His Highness Maharao Shri Vijayrajji Khengarji Jadeja, on the advice of Gandhiji, gave 15,000 acres (61 km2) of land to Bhai Pratap, who founded the Sindhi Resettlement Corporation to rehabilitate Sindhi Hindu suprooted from their motherland of Sindh in Pakistan The foundation stone of the town was laid with the blessings of Gandhi in 1947. Hence, the town was named Gandhidham.